Sunday, August 12, 2007

Success Tips

Although everyone is different, it is sometimes helpful to know what has helped someone be successful at what they're doing.

Here are some things that help me.

Be Prepared. When I get up in the morning, I have an idea of what I'll be eating that day. If I've got an event that poses a big problem, I plan for it. If it means cutting up a few bags of veggies so that I have some 'munchies' to eat while the kids or my husband are eating chips, then I've got it covered.

Beware of salty snacks. I love these so I had to find a substitute. Baked Lays Chips, Baked Doritos, Baked Scoops are all great. EXPENSIVE, but great. It's worth it if you're the only one eating them. One caution. Don't sit down with the bag next to you. Count out 1 serving and put it in the bowl and put the bag AWAY. Get some salsa that you like or make some fresh stuff and use it generously. By the way, Sam's club is about the cheapest place to get these...about half the price of the grocery stores.

Get rid of stuff that you just can't resist. For me it's Cheetos, donuts, and believe it or not, boxed macaroni and cheese. If you can't handle it don't have it in the house.

Don't eat stuff you don't like. It doesn't satisfy you at all and you're more likely to make bad food choices later.

Don't expect to lose the weight quickly. If you do, you'll get discouraged and quit and gain everything back plus a few more pounds for good measure. Losing at a rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week is painfully slow but then your eating habits will change and the pounds will stay off for the most part with a little self-control. See how your weight loss works....if you tend to lose a pound per week, see how long it will take you to get to your goal weight and make that a red letter day on your calendar....even if it's two years from now. Look forward to that day. When you're struggling to stay on target, tell yourself, "If I keep on target, I will get to my goal by that date". The time will pass anyway, you might as well have lost some weight in the process.

Us frugal moms HATE to waste food. Unfortunately sometimes we forget that when we finish up what our five-year-old left behind on his/her plate, it is wasting it just as much as if we threw it away. Our bodies don't need it. To feed myself what I don't need is wasting it. Get over it....throw it out. Better to waste it than to 'waist' it.

Portion control. Portion control. Portion control. Those serving sizes mean something. Use a smaller plate! No seconds. You won't wither up and die.

Thou shalt not lie. I think we need to recognize that we are very capable of lying to ourselves about food and how much we eat. This dishonesty is not pleasing to the Lord or the scale. Our bodies are not fooled.

Find a program that works for YOU and stick to it. If you can' afford a program, keep a food journal and write everything down. I use Weight Watchers online. I like it because I'm not a Rah Rah! meeting kind of person (maybe you are and that's great). I also like the simplicity. It calculates everything for me --I just type in what I eat. It has me losing at the right pace. No foods are off limits, I just have to stay within my point allowance. I LOVE this program.

Rely on the Lord. He knows you and your struggle. He knows what we're made of. He knows temptation. He can give you the strength to do the task at hand. Think what a fantastic testimony this can be for someone struggling with other addictions.

Remember that you can discipline yourself to do pretty much anything for just 24 hours, so take this thing ONE day at a time. Control yourself TODAY. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Find some new favorite foods and make sure they're always in your house. I have discovered oat bran and I love it. I also love Brownberry's Double Fiber 100% whole wheat bread. Seedless raspberry jam of the Smuckers variety. Summer fruits! Tomatoes! Fresh salsa with baked chips! Grilled chicken salad with lowfat dressing!

Psalm 139
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

No comments: