Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Replacements, or What if?

After reading someone else's blog yesterday where they were talking about keeping their hands busy exercising while watching TV or reading, I started thinking about some interesting possibilities. I already decided yesterday to replace my sitting-on-the-couch-blogging-time with 'always-standing-up-blogging-time. It burns more calories and helps me to be succinct instead of long-winded. I also don't get so comfortable that I waste a lot of time web-browsing.



Anyway, I started thinking about what the real implications could be if I started doing only one very important 'replacement activity'.



Suppose that every time I am tempted to eat what I know is wrong for me, I go up to my room and spend a few minutes talking to the Father. Wow! Do you know how many people would get prayed for? I am tempted a LOT! What if I make a very specific list of others' needs and just keep crossing those names off everyday as they're prayed for? What will happen if I take the focus off of my struggle and turn it to praying for my neighborhood? I know it would have an impact. I think this is a habit I need to learn and it's all a part of practicing His presence in my daily life. John 17:3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.


In just over four months I will be quite different physically. I believe four months of praying with the same diligence as dieting can turn the world upside down.

P.S. For what it's worth, I did hit my weekly weight goal! Wahoooooo! Down two this week. That would be a total of just over 1 large can of Crisco! Gross!


2 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Wow! Great idea! My husband has a lecturn(podium) for preaching in the living room, and sometimes I stand and get on line! It reduces the amount I am online...so I will continue.

Yay! on losing the crisco tub! I will also do a weekly weigh in on day 33~

Keep up the great work, and I think that praying to the Father is an excellent idea. Praise God for the blog world and the ideas we share~~
Jennifer

Karen said...

Is your husband a pastor? Not many people have a lecturn in their living rooms :-)

I stayed on target Wednesday and got my exercise in. I have evidence....I'm so sore I can barely move! I will do at least 30 minutes today as well.

Still praying!!!