Friday, September 21, 2007

My Messie's Manifesto

Let me just say this---if you're a clean freak, you just might NOT want to venture any further. You might be sick just contemplating the fact that dishes might sit in my sink for a while or my bed sometimes doesn't get made. I must, however, state my goals here for all to see.

As a `natural 'messie', in order to stay on top of things, I must:

Never leave my room in the morning until the bed is made.
Never leave ANYTHING in the sink.
Keep the counter and the table cleared off.
Unload the dishwasher the minute it stops.
Complete tasks on a checklist for every room in the house, every afternoon.
Complete a different tasklist for each room for weekly chores & monthly stuff.

And the biggie:

Fold and PUT away all laundry as it comes warm from the dryer. THIS will be the tough one but the most needed to end the c.h.a.o.s. (C-an't H-ave A-nybody O-ver S-yndrome.....see http://www.flylady.com/ ---great website for people who struggle with messiness, a little hokey but it works)

Yesterday I put a lot of time in to prepare for this and I will put more in today. I believe that tomorrow is the beginning of Jen's next challenge so I start tomorrow. (I get to practice today:-D) The other reason I am doing this challenge as well as the 30 minutes of exercise challenge is that I feel guilty pulling myself out to go to the gym or walking for an hour if my house looks like garbage. If my house looks decent, I feel free-er to spend time doing other pursuits.

By the way, I finally baked that apple pie yesterday and had a carefully measured slice last night with a 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream. What a treat! I didn't even have to feel guilty because I only dipped into my weeklies by 8 points, which gives me 27 left to blow at the family wedding this Sunday. Life is good.

I'm looking forward to blessing my family in this way. Is anybody out there a 'messie', too? Feel free to join in the challenge.

Karen (soon to be: behind no more, ahead of schedule, in shape, out of clutter, on target, off the sugar, up on energy, and down in pounds) Whew! That will feel great!

3 comments:

jennifer said...

Forgive me for not zipping over here to comment. I must say that your other blog leaves me contemplating all day! It is a great thing!

I am working on the post for tomorrow. I am excited that you are joining, and it is important to create good habits everywhere, because if we are not doing good habits it stands to reason that we are doing bad habits!

Keep up the diligent work. We all are far from perfect and creating good habits makes us consistent.

Believe it or not these 40 days have actually been great for the house, as when I have a moment I clean or organize.

TO BECOME said...

It seems that you are doing very good. I am so happy for you. I hope to join Jenn's next challenge. I sure hope it is something that I can join in. Keep up the good work. We'll make it. connie from Texas

Marsheila said...

Great post Karen!! I am not the one to do all those things all though I need to I just take one day at a time and if I feel like doing it that day it gets done lol. as for my diet it's going ok I guess I have'nt weighed yet so I will see how it goes soon. take care I am back on my blog again