Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Have I Completely Lost My Marbles?

I picked up a book we've had sitting around the house for a while now. It's the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. When my husband was reading it about three years ago, it didn't pique my interest but I started thinking.......Why NOT?

Actually, there are way too many reasons why I shouldn't consider running a marathon. Training takes time. I hate to run. I'm not all that fond of exercise. I can't imagine running when it's cold or rainy. I've never run more than one tenth of a mile at any time in my nearly half-century of life.

I guess the better question to ask is WHY? I need to get in good shape. It would provide some accountability once I tell everyone I'm doing this. It would give me the opportunity to accomplish something I never dreamed I could actually achieve (and still have my doubts). It would help to whittle off those last 20 pounds while I'm doing the prelimary training in advance of the real training. It would provide long stretches of time with not a whole lot to distract me from praying or memorizing the Word. (I used to memorize while walking on the treadmill)

Right now it's kind of the "manana marathon" as in "tomorrow I'll start training." Just like the dieting, though, once I open my mouth about it and start blogging about it, I think I might actually do it.

The Detroit Free Press Marathon is October 21st, 2008. I have a book with lists of marathons all over the country and when they are held. If anyone else is interested, we can train 'together' via blogworld and run in our separate marathons all over the country. Maybe this is a little bit crazy but there are a few projects in my life that I want to get started on and completing a 26.2 mile race might just give me the dose of confidence I need to tackle other feats or dreams that I thought were out of my reach.

There is no time like the present. I'm going to get my sneakers on.



**************UPDATE****************

I just got back. I covered two miles.....almost all walking ....but threw a few short runs in there! At least I got started!

Correction: The Detroit Marathon is October 19, 2008.

1 comment:

TO BECOME said...

I am so proud of you. I have never but never been able to run even as a child. It hurt too much. Now I can barly walk but I am so happy that you are doing it. I know it must be very good for you. I am glad to see that you are doing so well. Mine is very slow go but I am not giving up. Have a happy week. connie from Texas